Down to Earth is Hawaii’s only ALL VEGETARIAN retailer of natural and organic foods and products. We carry a wide variety of natural and organic foods and groceries including dairy products, local organic produce, bulk foods, vitamins and natural supplements, body care products, and household items. Our stores feature delis with hot food and cold salad bars, fresh juices and smoothies, a great made-to-order sandwich menu, grab-'n-go options, and a wide variety of delicious eggless desserts.
With a healthy focus on organics and vegetarianism, we provide the very best in natural products available today—at affordable down-to-earth prices.
- All the products in our stores are 100% vegetarian.
- Shopping at Down to Earth is truly cruelty-free because our products contain no ingredients from slaughtered animals and none of our products are tested on animals.
- We do not sell meat, poultry, fish, eggs, or their by-products such as animal rennet contained in cheese or the gelatin capsules of dietary supplements, etc.
- We do sell certain animal products such as milk and honey, which can be obtained without slaughtering the animal. However, we deplore the practices of many individual farmers and huge factory farms that exploit and mistreat the animals, particularly the cows, who are compared to a mother as they freely provide their milk to mankind.
- Our vegetarian beliefs are based upon the following ethical, environmental and health reasons:
- Eating animals is unnecessary because nature has provided ample vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes and dairy products for human sustenance.
- Eating animals causes extreme pain and suffering to billions of innocent creatures.
- A meat-based diet is an extremely wasteful use of the earth's limited resources, as it requires many times more resources to create a pound of animal flesh than a pound of vegetarian foods.
- The meat industry desecrates the environment through topsoil loss, deforestation, water pollution and contributes to global warming.
- Meat, fish, and eggs have high cholesterol. Their wide-scale consumption has contributed to the dramatic increase in the number of deaths from heart disease, strokes and cancer; and meat based diets contribute to a host of other health related problems.
- A vegetarian lifestyle awakens our spirit of compassion and guides us towards a kinder, gentler society in which we exercise a moral choice to protect animals—not exploit them.
- Down to Earth’s slogan is Love Life!—based on the idea that it is better to love animals, not eat them.
- We support organic farmers, who work with the natural environment, using methods that create ecological harmony.
- We seek out and offer a wide selection of organic produce, which is grown without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; ionizing radiation or GMOs. Our organic dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones.1,2
- Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. 3
- Since the FDA does not require that foods containing GMOs be labeled as such, the only products you can trust to be free of GE ingredients are foods labeled as organic.
- We work with local and out-of-state vendors to bring you a wide selection of certified organic fruits and vegetables in our produce section.
- We offer our customers a broad selection of organic grocery items and deli foods.
- Our natural foods, supplements and body-care products are all-vegetarian, free of artificial flavors, colors and preservatives, and they are minimally processed.
- Our emphasis is on promoting the consumption of a balanced, natural, vegetarian diet and the living of a healthy lifestyle.
- We feature many foods that are free of genetically engineered (GE) ingredients. We strongly encourage the USDA to implement more rigorous testing of GE crops, and we support mandatory labeling of GE foods.
- We promote the use of vitamins, herbs, and dietary supplements to assist you in attaining better health and well-being.
- We specialize in supplements that have no artificial binders or fillers, that are made from natural ingredients, and that contain no synthetic chemicals.
- Down to Earth offers:
- Grains and grain products that are minimally processed and have not been bleached or bromated.
- A wide range of bulk foods, allowing customers to buy the amount of their choice, protecting the environment by reducing packaging, and lowering cost.
- Prepared foods that are free of artificial sweeteners, flavors, additives, colorings, and contain minimal preservatives.
- Natural, eco-friendly products for the household that create a sense of balance for your body, mind, and spirit.