As women, our bodies go through many changes and nutritional needs. It’s important to become aware of these individual needs and give ourselves the best support possible. A great way to do this is by eating “superfoods.” Superfoods are nutrient-rich foods which can help to balance our hormones, increase our vitality, and strengthen our immune system. Following are some delicious foods that women should consider adding into their diet.
- Bee Pollen: Bee Pollen contains almost all nutrients that the body needs. Bee pollen is reported to be a good energy enhancer, skin soother, allergy antidote, and immune booster. I love putting bee pollen on my acai bowls or on top of my fruit for an extra sweet crunch.
- Seaweed: Seaweed is one of the best sources of minerals. It may help reduce body fat, as well as the risk of breast cancer and cardiovascular disease. I love eating seaweed chips. They are super crunchy and delicious! I also love putting furikake on my popcorn for some extra flavor!
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds are one of the top sources of plant-based calcium, magnesium, potassium, omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and protein. They are great in water and help make you feel full, so it’s a perfect drink when on the go. You can also put your chia seeds in any drink or even cook/bake with them.
- Coconut Oil: Where do I even start on coconut oil? There are so many different ways you can use this oil, it’s amazing. Here are some ways that I love to use coconut oil (and there are many more!):
- Makeup remover
- A drop in my dog’s water for a shiny coat and good breath!
- Just a little on the ends of my hair to help keep it shiny and beautiful!
- Massage on sore muscles
- Sunburn soother
- Tooth whitener
- Kombucha: Kombucha is fermented tea. Many believe that kombucha improves digestion, supports weight loss, increases energy, provides immune support, reduces joint pain, prevents cancer, and aids cleansing and detoxification. When I first tried kombucha I wasn’t a fan at all. The more I drank it however, the more I loved it! I especially love SKY Kombucha which Down to Earth carries on tap at all of Oahu locations. Down to Earth Maui also carries a phenemonal kombucha on tap from Big Wave Kombucha. I prefer to have it on tap so I can really taste the freshness. Some of my preferred flavors are lilikoi, mango, and strawberry. One of my favorite things to do is mix them, since I usually have a hard time deciding on one flavor.
There are many more superfoods out there. Comment below and tell us what some of your favorite superfoods are!