- 2½ cups packed grated zucchini
- ½ cup grated red onion
- ½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon Ener-G Egg replacer powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup liquid (broth, water, soymilk)
- High-heat oil, for frying (optional)
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon tamari
- 1 Tablespoon agave or honey
- Black pepper to taste
- Water, as needed
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Place zucchini and onion into a large bowl and sprinkle with a few teaspoons salt and toss with your hands. Let zucchini sit for 15 minutes to sweat out liquid.
- Using a clean dishtowel, squeeze zucchini and onions to release liquid.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, egg replacer powder and baking powder. Toss in zucchini and onion and stir to coat, adding liquid a few Tablespoons liquid at a time to ensure a tacky mixture.
- Measure out 1 Tablespoon of batter and flatten to make a mini pancake. Place onto baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip and press gently to flatten. Bake another 10 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from pan.
- To Fry: Add enough oil to cover the bottom of a heavy skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Test temperature of oil by dropping one single piece of zucchini into the pan– if it sizzles immediately, then it’s ready. Add fritters to hot oil and cook until browned on the bottoms, about five minutes. Flip gently, squash Fritters slightly, and then cook until browned on the other side. Layer onto paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- To make Tahini Sauce, whisk together all ingredients until smooth, adding water as needed to make the mixture smooth and creamy. Season with black pepper or salt if needed.
- Serve Fritters with Tahini Sauce and enjoy!