Indonesian Yellow Rice (Nasi Kuning)
This classic Indonesian rice dish is scented with incredibly flavorful herbs like lemongrass, ginger and turmeric.
- 2 cups white jasmine rice
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 Tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ground turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Rinse rice until all starch is removed and add to saucepan.
- Trim root ends of lemongrass stalks, and chop off the dry top sections. Mash root ends with the handle of a knife to break apart. Peel away layers of the lemongrass and tie into knots. Add to rice.
- Add all remaining ingredients to rice and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir, and aside to cool.
- When mostly cooled, divide among serving dishes and garnish with more cilantro. Serve with tofu, greens, or Green Banana Curry.