Silken Garnet Soup
This vegan translation of borscht is a winter classic.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped red beets
- 1 cup chopped golden beets (optional)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons caraway seed
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (16-ounce) can Cannellini or Great Northern beans
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh dill, chives or scallions
- Heat oil in a stock pot over low heat; sauté onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Layer the beets and carrots on top; pour in broth - enough to completely cover the vegetables.
- Add in dried herbs and salt. Cover and bring to boil.
- Lower heat to medium low. Allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in the beans, and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer into a food processor or blender – working in batches, If needed. Puree at high speed. Add in more liquid (vegetable stock or water) until desired creaminess is achieved.
- Serve garnished with Tofu Sour Cream and sliced chives, scallions and/or dill. Enjoy!