- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup + 2½ cups unsweetened soy milk, divided
- 1 Tablespoon + ¼ cup canola oil, divided
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 package tempeh bacon, crumbled
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose unbleached flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- For the Biscuits: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
Cut in shortening with fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually stir in ¾ cup soy milk until mixture pulls away from the bowl.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead the dough 15-20 times, adding more flour if needed to create a smooth dough. Flatten dough into a 1" thick disk. Cut dough into rounds using a biscuit cutter or a knife.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with soy milk and bake for 12-15 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- For the Gravy: Heat 1 Tablespoon canola oil in a large, deep skillet on medium-high heat. Sauté the minced onion until translucent. Add tempeh and sauté until heated through and slightly browned. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Whisk together remaining canola oil and flour. Add to the pan and cook until it smells nutty. Slowly add 2½ cups soy milk. Cook, whisking constantly to dissolve the roux and let the gravy thicken. Thin with more soy milk if necessary.
- When gravy has thickened, add tempeh mixture back to the pan. Add seasonings, stir to combine, and serve warm over biscuits. Enjoy!