Homemade Kim Chi
Kim Chi is a naturally fermented, spicy cabbage side dish that is served with every meal in Korea. It’s a great source of natural probiotics.
Updated: Tue, 04/03/2018 - 9:53pm
- 1 napa cabbage, halved and chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons sea salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup chopped vegetables such as daikon or carrot (optional)
- 2 green onions, sliced into 2" pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Korean chili powder + more to taste
- Place cabbage into a large bowl. Place salt and water in separate bowl, mix to dissolve. Pour over the vegetables and cover. Let stand overnight.
- The following day, drain off and reserve soak water. Add vegetables (is using) green onions, garlic, ginger, and chili to cabbage and mix well. Tightly pack into sterilized glass jar.
- Pour reserved soak water into jar to cover the cabbage mixture. Leave jar on the counter for 3-4 days. Taste each day for tanginess and let culture longer if you like. Refrigerate after opening. Enjoy!