Homemade Red Chai
Rooibos- also known as red bush tea- is high in antioxidants but does not contain caffeine. This is a warming drink, perfect for afternoon or evening.
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 1 Tablespoon cardamom seeds
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- ¼ cup loose Rooibos tea
- Almond milk, soymilk, or coconut milk to taste (optional)
- Honey, sugar, or agave to taste (optional)
- In a large stockpot or saucepan add cinnamon sticks, cardamom, peppercorns, fennel, and cloves. Heat over medium-low until spices are toasted and fragrant.
- Add 6 cups water and ginger to stockpot. Bring to a boil and add tea. Turn off heat, and let steep five minutes. Strain out tea and spices, and divide into mugs.
- Serve with your favorite milk and sweeten as you like. Enjoy!