Strawberry Lemon Granita
Granitas are refreshing and very easy to make. Using lemons as a serving dish is very cute but unnecessary - they would look wonderful served in a tall glass.
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 9:13pm
- ¾ cup fine sugar
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium lemons or 6 small lemons
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled
- 25-30 mint leaves + more if desired
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves – about 3-5 minutes. Allow simple syrup to cool – about 15 minutes.
- Cut off a ¼ off the top of the lemons. Slice a thin bevel off the bottom of the lemons. Using a small paring knife, carefully remove the lemon flesh without cutting into the bottom. Try to do this over a bowl to collect as much juice as possible. Put lemon “bowls” into freezer until ready to serve.
- Add lemon flesh, strawberries and mint leaves in a blender or food processor. Blend until pureed. Let sit until simple syrup has cooled, allowing the mint to steep.
- Pour and press strawberry mixture through a fine sieve into the simple syrup. Stir together and pour into a 9” x 13” baking pan.
- Place in freezer for 2-3 hours. Gently scrape with a spoon or fork. Return to freezer for another 2-3 hours. Scrape again with a fork until granita is completely raked and broken up. Serve in frozen lemon “bowls” and enjoy!!