- ⅓ cup coconut flakes + ½ cup
- 2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup soy milk + 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- ½ cup liquefied coconut oil
- ½ cup sucanat
- Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with paper liners.
- To make the Coconut Topping, mix ⅓ cup coconut flakes and the turbinado sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix ½ cup coconut, spelt flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- Mix soymilk and vinegar in a small bowl. Let sit to curdle.
- Peel and roughly chop bananas. Gently mash with a fork to make 1 cup. Add the bananas to a food processor with the soy milk mixture and blend.
- Add in coconut oil and sucanat. Blend until bananas are entirely pureed.
- Pour banana mixture directly into flour mixture. Mix gently until just combined -- some clumps are okay.
- Fill muffin pan cups about ⅔ full with batter, then sprinkle with about 1 Tablespoon of topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Gently insert a toothpick or fork into the middle of a muffin. If it doesn’t come out clean, bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy!