Raw Apple Pie
Nothing is quite like apple pie, but if you want the same flavors fast, our Raw Apple Pie is perfect for you! This raw dessert can also be warmed up slightly in the dehydrator or the oven and pairs great with coconut ice cream. Yum!
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 9:05pm
Crust and Topping
- 1½ cup walnuts
- 1½ cup almonds
- 1½ cups dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 apples, sliced thinly
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup pitted dates, cover with 2 cups water and soak for 20 minutes (do not discard soaking water)
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk
- 1 Tablespoon maca powder
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract or raw vanilla powder
- Pinch of salt
- To make the Crust and Topping: Add nuts, dates, and salt into a food processor. Process until crumbly and the dates have completely broken down. The mixture should be sticky.
- Divide mixture in half. Place one half into a 8"x8" glass pan or pie plate and press evenly. (Optional: Place in freezer for 15 minutes to set.)
- For Filling: Toss apples, lemon juice, and cinnamon into a large bowl and stir to evenly coat apples. Set aside.
- For Caramel Sauce: Add dates and their soaking water into food processor. Also add in psyllium, maca, vanilla and salt. Blend, adding more water if needed a tablespoon at a time, until caramel is creamy and smooth.
- Pour Caramel Sauce over the apples, and stir to coat.
- Layer Filling onto prepared crust and sprinkle with reserved .
- Serve immediately or place in a dehydrator at 105º for 3 hours or in the oven at the lowest setting for 10-20 minutes to warm pie. Keep any leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to a week. Enjoy!