- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tablespoons powder sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup cold butter or vegan butter
- ¼ - ½ cup ice water
- 3 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries (blackberries, cherries, blueberries, etc.)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Non-dairy milk, for brushing
- To prepare Crust: In a large bowl combine flours and powdered sugar. Add butter and cut into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or your hands. Work the butter into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal. Be sure not to overwork the mixture.
- Add ice water 1 Tablespoon at a time until dough sticks together.
- Separate dough into 2 balls and press into 2 flat rounds on wax paper. Freeze for at least 10 minutes (or keep in fridge overnight).
- While dough is chilling, prepare Filling. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add berries and cook for 10-15 minutes to soften and thaw (if using frozen). Mash larger berries slightly.
- Mix lemon juice, cornstarch and extract in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into berry mixture until it thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator/freezer and allow to sit a couple minutes or until it can be rolled out.
- Flour work surface and top of dough. Roll out dough to ¼” thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter or a round kitchen glass, cut dough into 4-inch circles. Roll the circles into ovals.
- Take 1 heaping Tablespoon of cooled berry mixture and place in the center of dough circle. Wet edge of dough with milk and fold over onto itself. Use the tines of a fork to press edges of dough to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Poke a few holes into the top with the fork. Brush with more milk and carefully lay onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and firm to the touch. Let cool before cutting or eating. Enjoy!