- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 Tablespoons orange zest
Special Materials: cookie cutters
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Beat in molasses and orange zest.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until combined.
- Separate the dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2½ hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove one half of dough from refrigerator and let sit for a couple minutes.
- Place a 1½ foot long piece of parchment paper on a clean dry surface. Put dough on parchment paper. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough.
For a crispier cookie: roll dough to ⅛" thick
For a softer cookie: roll to ½" thick
- Cut out dough with cookie cutters and place on a ungreased cookie sheet 1" apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Repeat with remaining half of dough. Enjoy!