- 1½ cups almond or soy milk
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup turbinando sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup liquid coconut oil
- 1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
Avocado Buttercream Frosting
- 2 small avocados or 1 large avocado
- Zest and juice of 1 small lime
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Almond milk, if needed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Strawberry Lime Puree
- 1 ½ cups sliced fresh strawberries (may substitute with frozen strawberries, just defrost before using)
- Zest and juice of 1 large lime or 2 small limes
- 1 Tablespoon honey or agave + more if desired
- To prepare Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 muffin tins with baking cups or grease with oil.
- Whisk together almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk mixture, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Slowly whisk in wet ingredients into dry mixture until just combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops spring back lightly. You can also check for doneness by sticking a toothpick in the middle – when it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes. Then transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
- While cupcakes are baking, prepare Avocado Buttercream Frosting: Peel and pit the avocado. Scoop avocado into a food processor and add in lime juice – setting aside lime zest for later. Process for a couple of minutes to break up avocado. Adding sugar in a couple Tablespoons at a time, continue to process – scraping the sides frequently. If mixture isn’t coming together, add in a few Tablespoons of almond milk as needed. Once all sugar is added and processor is on, drizzle in vanilla extract through the feed tube. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer Frosting into a bowl, piping bag or a large plastic re-sealable bag (when ready to use, snip a small part of a corner to make a homemade piping bag). Let chill in refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes before using.
- Blend all Strawberry Lime Puree in a blender until completely pureed. Add in more honey/agave if desired. Transfer Puree into a piping bag or a large plastic re-sealable bag (when ready to use, snip a small part of a corner to make a homemade piping bag) and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Before proceeding, it is important that the cupcakes have completely cooled before. Any addition beforehand of Puree or Frosting will melt or dampen the cupcakes. Using a paring knife, cut a small cone-shape out of the center of each cooled cupcake. Remove the bottom half of the cone (perfect size for a small bite for you!). It’s best to cut all the tops first before filling them.
- Fill each center with a few Tablespoons worth of Strawberry Lime Puree - being careful not to overfill. Replace top half of cone on top of cupcakes.
- Pipe or spread Frosting on top of each cupcake. Serve and enjoy!