Tempeh "Bolognaise" Pasta
This is a hearty and simple pasta sauce that features protein-rich tempeh. Best served with a twisty noodle like fusilli to get as much sauce as possible per bite!
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 9:13pm
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) block tempeh, crumbled
- 1 (24-25 ounce) jar marinara sauce of choice
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup water + more to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) package pasta
- In a large skillet heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until just browned, about 5-8 minutes. Add remaining olive oil and green pepper, carrot, garlic, and tempeh. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly, until vegetables are soft and tempeh is browned.
- Lower heat and add marinara sauce and herbs. Stir to combine, adding water to thin slightly. Taste sauce, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Simmer sauce for 10 minutes on low heat, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Divide pasta between four bowls, and smother with sauce. Enjoy!