Vegan Niter Kebbeh (Ethiopian Spiced Oil)
This vegan version of a traditional Ethiopian spiced butter is a crucial component of many dishes. Tip: Use leftover coconut oil jar to store Niter Kebbeh.
Updated: Mon, 04/09/2018 - 8:07am
- 1 (14-ounce) jar refined coconut oil
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, slightly crushed
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 green cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole cloves
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds, whole or ground
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil leaves, bruised
- Place all ingredients into a small sauce pan. Heat over medium until oil begins to bubble. Immediately reduce heat to low to prevent burning.
- Let mixture simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes.
- Carefully pour mixture through a fine strainer or cheese cloth into an airtight container, preferably a glass jar. Discard spices.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator up to 2 months. Enjoy!