- 4 cups diced unpeeled potatoes, about 3-5 potatoes (Yukon Gold or Russet preferred)
- 1 Tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 cup diced vegan sausage of choice (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, oregano, or basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ - 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place diced potatoes in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes. The potatoes should be falling apart on their own, not just fork tender. Drain and rinse.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat safflower oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add diced vegan sausage and fry until browned and crispy – about 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
- Using the same stockpot used to cook the potatoes, set burner to medium heat. Add garlic and butter. Cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add potatoes back in.
- Stir kale into potato mixture. Mash potatoes using a potato masher until smooth.
- Add nutritional yeast, milk, and seasonings. Stir mixture slowly. It will appear to be soup-y at first but as you continue stirring, it’ll thicken up. Stir until potatoes are creamy and fluffy about 5-10 minutes.
- Fold in cooked vegan sausage. Garnish with thyme and enjoy!