- 2 eggplants, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 Tablespoons of your favorite pesto sauce
- 1½ cups feta cheese or marinated tofu, crumbled into big chunks
- A few basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Lemon pepper
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Spread the slices of eggplant on a clean surface. Sprinkle liberally with salt and leave for 10-15 minutes to extract the bitter juices. Turn slices over and repeat. Rinse well with cold water and drain on paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the garlic. Add eggplant slices and fry lightly on both sides, a few at a time. Be careful not to overcook, otherwise the eggplant will be too soggy to roll up properly.
- Drain on paper towels and pat dry.
- Spread pesto on one side of the eggplant slices. Top with feta cheese or tofu and sprinkle with torn basil leaves. Season with lemon pepper.
- Roll up the slices and secure with a toothpick. Garnish with fresh basil leaves. Serve and enjoy!