- 1 (8-ounce) block tempeh, cut into cubes
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups diced zucchini and/or summer squash
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 Tablespoons mirin
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons brown rice syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Heat a large skillet or stockpot on medium-high heat. Heat 2 Tablespoons oil, then add cubed tempeh. Cook until just browned on each side, adding more oil as needed.
- Stir in ginger and mirin, and sauté five minutes more. Add vegetables and cook until just soft. Remove tempeh and vegetables from skillet. Reduce heat to lowest setting.
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, brown rice syrup, vinegar, soy sauce and lemon zest until smooth, then add to skillet. Cook on very low heat until warm.
- In a small bowl whisk together water and arrowroot until smooth. Stir into lemon juice mixture and whisk constantly until smooth and clear. Toss in tempeh and vegetables, toss to coat, and remove from pan.
- Serve with rice, pasta, in a wrap or let cool for a salad topping. Enjoy!