Mujaddhra (Lentils, Rice & Onions)
Mujaddara is a classic, wholesome dish relying on the savory flavor of properly caramelized onions. Take the time to cook them well and the dish will be a burst of sweet and savory flavors.
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 8:51pm
- 1 cup French Green lentils
- 3 cups water + 1 ½ cups more
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- Pinch brown sugar
Spiced Tahini Yogurt Sauce
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup unsweetened yogurt of choice
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin and coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Rinse lentils and add to a saucepan with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain off most water, and a few pinches of salt, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add rice, salt and 1½ cups water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 30 minutes, or until soft. Fluff and set aside to cool.
- In a large cast iron or non-stick skillet, warm 2 Tablespoons olive oil over low heat. Add onions and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When onions are very soft and brown, add a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. Remove from heat and stir into lentils. Add rice and toss to combine.
- To make the Spiced Tahini Yogurt Sauce: Whisk all ingredients together and serve alongside Mujaddara. Enjoy!