Open-Faced Vegan ‘Tuna’ Melt
Chickpeas and seaweed stand in for tuna in this fun and easy luncheon recipe. Serve with your favorite gluten-free bread, salad and soup for a wholesome gluten-free meal!
- 2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 3 Tablespoons sweet relish
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 Tablespoons dulse
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 loaf gluten free bread
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Olive oil for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place garbanzo beans in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add chopped beans into a large bowl. Stir in vegan mayonnaise, mustard, celery, onion, pickles, relish, dulse, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined
- Layer (how many slices) of bread on a baking sheet. Bake for five minutes or until brown; flip and toast on other side for another five minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and divide “Tuna” mixture evenly onto each slice of bread.
- Sprinkle each piece with nutritional yeast and drizzle with olive oil.
- Change oven setting to Broil and put baking sheet back into the oven for five minutes, watching carefully so that it does not burn. Remove from oven, serve and enjoy!