Plant-Based Beefy Meatless "Meatloaf"
Did you know that meatloaf was originally called "Vitality Loaf"? This is not only an onolicious comfort food, but a great vessel for sneaking veggies onto your keiki's plate (We won't tell if you won't!)
Updated: Tue, 08/25/2020 - 9:18am
- 2 cups cooked red lentils
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms of choice, roughly chopped
- 1 package of Beyond Burger grounds, sauteed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Combine all glaze ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Sautee carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bell pepper and mushrooms with a touch of olive oil or veggie broth until soft and fragrant.
- Combine sauteed veggies in a big bowl with cooked lentils, Beyond Meat, oat flour, bread crumbs, parsely, flax meal, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Consistency should be sticky and holds together easily.
- Place the loaf mixture into a parchment-lined loaf pan. Spoon or brush 1/2 of the glaze on to the top of the loaf and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the loaf and pour the remaining glaze on top before serving!
- Try baking this in a muffin tray for the cutest individual servings ever!
- You can make your own oat flour by blending whole oats in a blender or food processor
- Feel free to substitude the Beyond Burger for any plant-based meat you like. We have tons of delicious options in our stores!