- 1 cluster of maitake mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper or adobo seasoning
- Extra cast iron pan or clean red brick covered with foil
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon oil to prevent sticking
- 1 block super firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon vegan egg yolk (Just Egg or Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg are some good ones!)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut off the base of the mushroom cluster, being very careful not to cut too high up. Keep the cluster together and do not separate the individual mushrooms.
- Heat oil to the pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushroom cluster and season with salt & pepper.
- Weigh the mushroom cluster down with the extra cast iron pan or foil-covered brick. This will flatten the mushroom into a steak shape. Try not to touch it too much, let the steak develop a nice sear or char.
- Carefully remove the weight and flip the steak to sear the other side. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch slabs, then round the corners to create an "egg" shape. Carefully cut a hole in the middle for the egg yolk to sit in.
- Season tofu with salt and pepper then fry both sides over medium heat.
- Add the vegan egg yolk to the hole and cook through. Flip and cook the other side.
- Serve steak and eggs together over rice and enjoy!