Roasted Winter Squash Soup
As seen on KHON's Living808!
5 - 6 servings
- 3 pounds winter squash such as butternut, kabocha or acorn
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Lightly drizzle squash with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place squash face down on baking sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes or until squash is soft. Remove from oven and let cool enough to touch.
- Scoop out squash flesh into a bowl. Discard skins. Mash squash with a potato masher. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add broth, squash, ginger, basil and thyme. Mix well.
- Bring soup to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Working in small batches, ladle some of the soup mixture into a blender (fill about halfway) and blend until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with remaining soup.
- Once all soup has been blended, return to pot. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Enjoy!