Rajas (Roasted Poblano Chiles)
- 6 poblano chiles (about 1 pound)
- Safflower oil + 1 Tablespoon
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 Tablespoon safflower oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 (14-ounce) block extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 (7-ounce) can sliced black olives, crumbled
- 1 (28-ounce) can chipotle enchilada sauce
- 20-24 small corn tortillas
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, lime wedges and fresh cilantro for garnish
Recommended Materials: Two 9"x13" baking dishes
- Preheat oven to 425°. Prepare Rajas: Rub whole poblanos with safflower oil. Place on baking sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes until charred on all sides, turning at least once. Transfer to an airtight container, cover and let steam 15 minutes. Lower oven to 350°.
- Rub off skin and de-seed. Slice chiles lengthwise into ¼" strips.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon safflower oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown and soft.
- Add garlic, oregano and poblano and sauté for 3-4 more minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare Tofu Enchiladas: Using the same sauté pan, heat 1 Tablespoon safflower oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté 5-7 minutes or until soft and golden brown on the edges.
- Crumble tofu into the pan. Sauté 5-7 minutes or until tofu browns slightly and firms up. Add taco seasoning, oregano, black beans, corn and olives. Sauté 3-5 minutes or until all ingredients are heated through. Remove from heat.
- Pour about ¼" of enchilada sauce in the bottoms of two 9"x13" baking dishes.
- If your tortillas are dry and crumbly, heat them slightly in a steamer or a small pan.
- Take one soft tortilla, sprinkle 1-2 Tablespoons of grated cheese in a line down the middle, add about 1 Tablespoon of prepared Rajas, and finish with 2-3 Tablespoons of tofu filling. Roll up and place flap side down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas, lining rolled enchiladas in the dishes. Top with remaining chipotle enchilada sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 30-45 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and enchiladas are heated through. Garnish with sour cream, lime wedges and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!