- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup water
- In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add vegetable shortening and using your hands, work through the dry ingredients until the shortening is mixed completely. The batter should have a crumbly texture.
- Stir in the olive oil and water to form a ball of dough.
- Warm a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Divide the dough into 12 small balls.
- Flatten each of the balls using a tortilla press or a floured surface and rolling pin.
- Place a tortilla in the skillet and cook until tortilla starts to brown. Flip tortilla over cook until browned. Repeat until all tortillas have been cooked.
- Optional: To make tortilla chips, preheat oven to 350̊ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut tortillas into 6-8 pieces and place on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle some salt over top.
- Cook for 10 minutes, until crispy.