Slow Cooker Sautéed Onions
Can't get enough sautéed (caramelized) onions in your life but don't like waiting 30-45 minutes over a hot stove? Make a huge batch in your slow cooker! If you know you're cooking a bunch of dishes, having a bunch of sautéed onions ready to go eliminates one time-consuming step. Freezing the sautéed onions makes it a snap to add to weeknights meals. Take your pasta dish from so-so to scrumptious with the rich and savory flavor of sautéed onions. This recipe can easily be multiplied to make bigger batches.
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 8:52pm
- 1 pound yellow or sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Place sliced onions in slow cooker. Toss with olive oil and salt. Cook on low for 10 hours.
- Use immediately if desired. Refrigerated onions will usually last about a week.
To Freeze: Allow onions to cool completely - transferring them to another container will help - usually about 30-45 minutes. Transfer onions with a slotted spoon to a freezer-friendly container. Leftover liquid can be used a broth. Onions can keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Enjoy!