Chai Latte w/ Vanilla Ice
Flavored ice cubes are a fun way to infuse flavor in iced drinks so they don't get watered down and lose their flavor. Experiment with different flavors like citrus zest and different flavored extracts.
- 2 cups almond or soy milk
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 7-8 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2” piece ginger, peeled
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 2 cups water
- 2 chai tea or black tea bags
- 4 cups milk or nondairy milk
- Cinnamon, to taste
Special Materials: 2 Ice Cube Trays
- To prepare Vanilla Ice: Combine milk and sugar in a large saucepan. Slice open vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape inside into saucepan. Place empty vanilla bean in saucepan as well. Heat saucepan over medium heat until it begins to simmer, whisking constantly. Once mixture has come to a simmer, reduce heat to low and let cook for 10 more minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Pour mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a large measuring cup. Discard vanilla bean. Carefully pour mixture evenly into ice cube trays. Freeze until completely solid – about 3-4 hours.
- To prepare Chai Latte: Combine all ingredients, except for tea bags, in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Steep tea bags and reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for another 5 minutes. Remove and discard tea bags. Let the mixture sit for another 15-20 minutes. Strain mixture using a fine-mesh strainer into a carafe or pitcher. Refrigerate until cooled completely – about 2-3 hours.
- When ready to serve, whisk together milk with Chai Concentrate in a pitcher. Remove ice from freezer and place a few ice cubes in 4 large glasses. Pour Chai Latte over Vanilla Ice in each glass. Sprinkle a little cinnamon over each glass. Serve and enjoy!