- ½ cup vegan butter, softened
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 medium apple bananas, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon non-alcohol vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups vanilla-flavored soy milk
- To make crust: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using a fork or your hands, mash the vegan butter with the graham cracker crumbs. When combined, press onto the bottom and sides of a pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make caramelized bananas: Heat coconut oil in a large skillet on medium-low heat. Add bananas and grill until soft, about 5 minutes. Turn up heat to medium-high and add brown sugar. Stir until bananas become creamy, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make pastry crème: Whisk sugar, flour, corn starch, water and vanilla until creamy. Set aside.
Heat soy milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat until warm. Add half the soy milk to sugar mixture and whisk well.
- Pour sugar mixture into soy milk saucepan. Stir continuously until it becomes thick. Whisk vigorously, and remove from heat. Cover with parchment paper, and let cool to room temperature.
- When cool, spread pastry crème into the crust, and top with cooled bananas. Chill until crème is cold, then serve. Keeps well in fridge for a few days. Enjoy!