Gluten-Free Okinawan Sweet Potato Crunch
This Okinawan Sweet Potato Crunch is vegan, gluten-free, and refined-sugar-free, but definitely not taste-free! Made with Okinawan sweet potatoes, it’s flavored to perfection and sweetened naturally.
Updated: Thu, 04/25/2019 - 8:27am
- 4 Okinawan sweet potatoes
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- 5 dates
- Zest of half a lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped small
- 1 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup raw almonds, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon non-alcoholic vanilla extract
- Zest of half a lime
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon unrefined salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Soak 5 dates for filling in 1 cup water.
- Peel and cut the Okinawan sweet potato into large pieces for cooking.
- Boil sweet potatoes in water for about 45 minutes, or until soft. Okinawan sweet potatoes take longer than regular potatoes to cook, so check that they’re very soft.
- Meanwhile, start making the crunch by melting the coconut oil.
- Mix oil in with the remaining crunch ingredients and toss until well-distributed.
- Press most of the crunch into your prepared pan, reserving about half a cup for topping.
- Bake the crunch for 5 minutes in the oven, and then allow to cool a little while you prepare the filling.
- Once the sweet potatoes are finished boiling, drain and mash them.
- Remove soaking dates from water and set the water aside.
- Puree dates in blender or food processor.
- Add a tablespoon of soaking water to the date puree and continue to blend until the date puree is creamy. Add more soaking water if needed.
- Add arrowroot to remaining soaking water and stir until dissolved.
- Mix sweet potato mash, coconut cream, date puree, ground ginger, and lime in a pot.
- Over medium heat, add the dissolved arrowroot with a whisk and bring to a gentle simmer.
- To get the filling as smooth as possible, transfer to a blender or food processor to finish.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture over the crunch.
- Top with the reserved crunch mixture.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 more minutes, until lightly browned and toasted.
- Serve and enjoy!!