Golden Snitch Mini Cupcakes
Adapted from Dumbledore’s Vegan Army website.
Yield:24 mini cupcakes
Updated: Thu, 04/05/2018 - 8:23am
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk or milk substitute
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour + 3 Tablespoons reserved
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ⅛ cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-4 cups crushed pineapple
- ⅓ cup safflower oil, or neutral oil of choice
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Light-colored (preferably yellow) frosting of choice, such as our Pineapple Bliss frosting
- Special Materials: A 2” small wing cookie cutter or create your own with card stock and aluminum foil; a mini cupcake baking tin
- To create wing shape, cut out a 2” long wing from card stock. Wrap in aluminum foil.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To bake wings: cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry with a rubber spatula. Dough should be a little sticky.
- Add 1 Tablespoon flour at a time, until dough becomes less sticky (Usually takes about 3-4 Tablespoons). Shape dough into a smooth ball.
- Dust flour on a clean surface and flatten dough with a rolling pin until about ½” thick.
- Using the cookie cutter or wing shape, cut out 50-60 wings, in sets of left and right. You’ll need 48, but make extras in case any break. Press the tines of a fork to create lines on the wings.
- Place wings in 25-30 sets (left and right) without touching each other on baking sheet. Dust evenly with powdered sugar.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottom is lightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Leave oven on at 350° to bake cupcakes.
- While wings are baking, start creating cupcakes. Line a 24 mini cupcake tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Process 3 cups pineapple in a food processor until completely pureed. Should yield about 1½ cups. If necessary, puree another cup until 1½ cups is achieved.
- Transfer pineapple puree to a large mixing bowl. Add oil, sugar and vanilla. Fold dry ingredients into wet mixture.
- Using an electric mixer on low, beat until batter is smooth. A few tiny clumps of pineapple may still be present.
- Using a small measuring spoon, pour batter into each cupcake tin to about ¾ full.
- Place in oven and cook 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle and comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost each cupcake generously. Stick a pair of wings on the sides, slightly tucked into liner. The frosting should help keep the wings in place. Serve to only the quickest Quidditch seekers and enjoy!