- ½ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons soy milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground anise
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon each ground cloves, cardamom and black pepper
- Powdered sugar to coat
Note: this dough must rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking.
- In a large bowl whisk together vegan butter and sugar until fluffy. Whisk in the molasses, oil, soy milk and vanilla.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add dry ingredients in batches to the wet ingredients. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll into 1" balls. Place on baking sheets 2" apart. Bake 10-12 minutes, until cookies are light brown and evenly colored.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes on baking sheets. Toss gently in a bowl of powdered sugar to coat. Repeat powdered sugar coating if needed. Enjoy!