Vegan Crème Brûlée
Who said you can’t be vegan and still enjoy a delicious crème brûlée? Crack the crust on that myth with this easy and delicious dessert.
- 1 (12-ounce) package soft silken tofu
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- ½ cup non-dairy creamer
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Paste from 1 vanilla bean pod
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375̊ and press excess water from tofu.
- Combine all ingredients (except extra ½ cup powdered sugar) in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Pour mixture into 6 ramekins.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once ramekins have cooled down enough, transfer them to the refrigerator for at least one hour to cool down further.
- Remove ramekins from refrigerator and sprinkle tops evenly with powdered sugar.
- To cook using culinary torch: use torch to brûlée sugar until it bubbles and caramelizes.
- To cook using oven: place ramekins on a baking sheet and broil in oven until sugar bubbles and caramelizes.
- Serve and enjoy!