This wholesome soup is a delicious way to enjoy young green soybeans, also known as edamame. This recipe is adapted from one of our favorite food blogs, 101 Cookbooks.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 potato, cubed (about 1½ cups)
- Water, as needed
- 1½ pounds fresh or frozen shelled edamame
- 4 cups vegetable broth + more to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Greek yogurt or soy yogurt for garnish
- In a stockpot, heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add onions and potato. Stir to coat, and allow to cook for about five minutes, adding a little bit of water if vegetables are sticking.
- Add edamame and vegetable stock. Cover and simmer on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes until potatoes and beans are tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Scoop out beans and add to processor. Blend until smooth, adding soup mixture a few Tablespoons at a time until totally smooth (you may need to process for 10 minutes or so; a blender will likely be less time).
- Divide between serving bowls, garnish with yogurt, and serve!