Grown-Up Mac and Cheese
Three different cheeses and smoky flavors round out this classic dish that appeals to the kid inside as well as to your adult taste buds!
Updated: Fri, 04/20/2018 - 9:59pm
- 12-ounces pasta of choice
- 2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, divided
- ½ teaspoon each: smoked salt, dried basil and black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon each: nutmeg, cayenne pepper and ground sage
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Heat butter or oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat and add 1¾ cups almond milk. Heat until warmed thoroughly, but do not boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining almond milk with spices and flour until smooth. Add to saucepan and stir constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses and cooked pasta. Stir well to melt cheeses.
- Let stand 10 minutes to cool before serving. Enjoy!