Basil Cashew Cheeze Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 30 minutes up to overnight
- ¼ cup vegetable broth + more if needed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 clove garlic
- 1½ cups fresh basil leaves or 3 Tablespoons dried basil
- 1 (25-ounce) jar pasta or marinara sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) box lasagna noodles or gluten-free lasagna, uncooked
- 1-2 cups spinach leaves
- 1-2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1-2 cups chopped onions
- 1-2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, vegan mozzarella, or nutritional yeast
- To prepare Basil Cashew Cheeze Sauce: Drain cashews and rinse well. Transfer to a food processor or blender. Add in remaining Cheeze Sauce ingredients. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- To prepareLasagna: Pour half of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a crock pot. Place a layer of noodles on top of the sauce covering the entire surface – break noodles if needed to fit pot.
- Layer half of the Cheeze Sauce on top of noodles. Then layer half of the vegetables and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella.
- Repeat with another layer of noodles, remaining Cheeze Sauce and vegetables.
- Pour remaining pasta sauce on top of the lasagna and top with remaining mozzarella.
- Cook on low for 4 hours. Lasagna can be served immediately or you can store in your freezer for a ready-to-go meal later on. Enjoy!
- Freeze: After lasagna has cooked, allow to cool for at least 1 hour. Transfer to a large freezer-safe baking dish or individual glass containers. Cover with plastic wrap and foil and refrigerate for 1-2 more hours. After lasagna has completely chilled, place in freezer. Lasagna can be stored in the freezer for 3-4 months.
- To Reheat: Allow lasagna to thaw in the refrigerator overnight or 1-2 hours at room temperature. Reheat in oven at 350° for 30-40 minutes.
- To Bake: Alternatively if you don’t have a slow cooker, you can also bake the recipe in the oven. Follow recipe as is in a 9”x13” baking dish, covered loosely with foil in a 400° oven for 40-45 minutes. Broil for 5 minutes and then serve. If you have a very large crock pot, consider adding an extra layer.