- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 (12 ounce) block super-firm tofu, sliced into 1 cm thick squares
- 3 cups mixed mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 2-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon each caraway, dried thyme, and dried basil
- ¾ cup unsweetened hemp milk (or other non-dairy)
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon smoked salt
- First, marinate the Tofu: Mix 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, olive oil, and liquid smoke in bowl. Dredge tofu in sauce and layer in 8x8 baking dish, adding any extra marinade on top of tofu. Cover and let marinate for 1 hour.
- Flip tofu and bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Flip each piece of tofu and add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and herbs. Bake for 20 minutes more, until mushrooms are wilted. Remove from oven and set aside. Increase oven temperature to 400º.
- In a small bowl mix hemp milk, arrowroot, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, nutmeg, agave, and smoked salt. Pour over tofu and mushroom mixture and return to oven for 15 minutes, or until crème is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!