Savory Onion-Carrot Jam
Enjoy with cheese, spread on bread as a condiment for a sandwich, or use as a sauce to finish sautéed vegetable dishes.
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil (olive, canola, macadamia nut, etc)
- 4 yellow or white onions, minced
- 2 large carrots, grated with a box grater
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 whole clove or 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large, wide mouthed pan or shallow pot over medium flame. Add onions, carrots, and 1 teaspoon salt. Allow to cook, stirring regularly, until most of the moisture has evaporated. Lower the flame and continue to cook until onions are sufficiently brown.
- Add red wine vinegar, water, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, and spices. Allow to cook an additional 20-30 minutes over low heat, until a jammy consistency is reached.
- Allow to cool and store in refigerator up to 2 weeks. Serve and enjoy!