- ½ pound Adzuki beans, soaked overnight
- 1-inch square Kombu seaweed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 2-4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups peeled and chopped winter squash
- 2 Tablespoon fresh, grated ginger
- ¼ cup Hacho miso (or red miso)
- Sea salt to taste
- Toasted Sesame oil for garnish
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Drain and rinse beans. Add to a large stockpot and cover with fresh water. Add kombu and bring to a boil. Cover, and let cook 30-40 minutes, or until beans are soft. Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- Remove kombu from bean mixture and cut into small slices, and stir back into the beans
- In another stockpot, heat olive oil until warm. Add onion and carrots and cook until onions are soft. Lower heat and add 2 cups broth, squash and ginger and cook for ten minutes more, or until squash is soft. Let cool slightly.
- Blend onion mixture in a food processor until smooth, adding bean broth as needed for texture. Add miso and blend again. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide soup between four bowls and add 1 cup of beans to soup. Garnish with a swirl of toasted sesame oil and fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!