Spinach & Kale Soup
This soup is bright in color and flavor – perfect for Springtime!
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours up to overnight
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1-2 carrots, diced
- 1-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ - ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2-3 green onion stalks, sliced thinly
- 3-4 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- To prepare Cashew Cream: Drain and rinse cashews a couple times. Pour into a blender along with water and blend, scraping the sides as needed, until totally smooth. Set aside.
- To prepare Soup: Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for a few minutes until softened.
- Stir in spinach, kale, carrots, and garlic. Season with Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes more or until garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in vegetable broth and stir to combine. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until greens are wilted and carrots are tender.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lemon juice, vinegar, and cashew cream. Soup can be served as is or blended using a food processor or blender for a richer, creamier soup.
- Garnish soup with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!