Whole Wheat Pâte Brisée
This dough can be frozen up to 1 month and thawed overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Recipe Categories:Breads and Muffins
Updated: Thu, 03/09/2017 - 7:33am
- 1¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1¼ cups all-purpose wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) cold, unsalted butter or vegan butter, cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup ice water + more if needed
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flours and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add butter and pulse about 10 seconds, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces remaining. (To mix by hand: combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and cut in butter with a pastry cutter.)
- With machine running, add ice water through feed tube in a slow, steady stream, just until dough holds together without being wet or sticky. Do not process more than 30 seconds. Test by squeezing a small amount of dough together. If dough is still crumbly, add water 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Turn out dough onto a clean work surface. Divide in half and place each half on a piece of plastic wrap. Shape into flattened disks. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight. Use as a crust for your favorite tarts or pies. Enjoy!