Mango Ginger Tofu
Take advantage of Hawaii’s short and sweet mango season by making this magical tofu. Serve with simply prepared vegetables and sides to let your tastebuds focus on the spicy-sweet flavors of crazy good mango sauce!
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 8:51pm
- 2 Tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 cups roughly chopped mango, plus pulp
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 (10-14 ounce) packages extra firm tofu, cut into squares
- Heat oil in skillet until warm. Add onions and cook for five to ten minutes, until just browned. Add garlic, jalapeno and ginger. Cook for just a few minutes, until garlic is softened. Add chopped mango and cook for five minutes more.
- Stir together broth, orange juice, soy sauce. Add to skillet, stir to combine, and simmer on medium for 20-30 minutes, until mixture is thick and reduced. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Optional: for a creamy sauce, blend mango mixture until smooth in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Layer tofu squares in a single layer in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with mango sauce, reserving about 1 cup.
- Bake tofu for 30 minutes, then flip. Bake for another 20-30 minutes, until tofu is slightly browned and mixture is thick.
- Serve with grains, noodles or salad. Use reserved mango sauce tableside as a dip or extra sauce for the tofu. Enjoy!