Zesty Orange Quinoa Salad
A mix of red and white quinoa, bright greens and flavorful oranges makes for a quick (and beautiful) summertime potluck or BBQ dish.
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 8:51pm
- 1 cup mixed red and white quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 orange, skin, pith and seeds removed
- 4 cups mixed sliced greens
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh sliced basil
- 1 cup fresh sprouts of choice
Zesty Orange Dressing
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, hemp oil or flax oil
- 2 Tablespoons ume plum vinegar (or soy sauce)
- ¼ cup minced shallot or green onion
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- Black pepper to taste
- In a dry saucepan toast quinoa until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add in broth or water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove cover and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl toss together greens, carrots, basil and sprouts. Toss in cooled quinoa.
- To make the Zesty Orange Dressing: Whisk together all ingredients and let stand for at least 15 minutes to mellow the flavor of the shallots.
- Toss dressing over quinoa and veggies and serve immediately. If serving later, keep dressing separate until ready to serve. Enjoy at any temperature!