- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 6 leaves Swiss chard, ribs removed and chopped; reserve leaves
- ½ teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 (15-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes + 2 Tablespoons oil from jar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup torn fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant. Stir in carrots, chard stems and rosemary. Cook 10-15 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add broth, 1 can tomatoes and beans to the saucepan. Scoop out 1 cup of this mixture and add to a food processor or blender. Add remaining can of tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, and sun-dried tomato oil into a food processor. Purée until totally smooth. Stir the purée back into the soup, season with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add reserved Swiss chard leaves, thyme, and basil to soup and simmer until chard is wilted. Remove pan from heat and divide between serving bowls. Enjoy!