Spinach & Mushroom Strata
Strata is a great brunch casserole. This hearty vegan version uses blended tofu to replace eggs.
- 4 slices stale or lightly toasted rye bread, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon each oregano, basil, and mustard powder
- Black pepper and sea salt to taste
- 4 cups chopped spinach or kale
- 1 (14-ounce) package medium-firm tofu
- ¼ cup vegetable broth or water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8x8 baking dish with oil and line bottom and sides with parchment.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet. Add onions and cook for five minutes on medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are wilted, about 10 more minutes.
- Add garlic, herbs, pepper, and salt. Toss to coat, then add spinach, stirring until all spinach is wilted.
- Add cubed bread and toss to combine. Add mixture to baking dish and set aside.
- Add tofu, broth, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, cornstarch, and turmeric to food processor. Blend until totally smooth.
- Pour the tofu over vegetable mixture and press tofu into vegetables and bread until soaked. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until tofu is cooked through. Remove from oven, let cool, and serve! Enjoy!