- 1 bulb garlic
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil + extra for coating
- 1¼ cups warm water (about 140º)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Add butter and olive oil to a small skillet and warm over low heat. Add garlic and cook until just softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add water, yeast and sugar to a large bowl. Stir gently and let yeast ‘proof’ for five minutes. Whisk in ¼ cup of garlic/olive oil mixture and honey.
- Add flours and salt to another large bowl. Slowly stir in liquid ingredients. Knead gently with your hands just until dough is cohesive.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for a few minutes more until dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed to keep from sticking. Transfer to a large (clean) bowl greased with olive oil. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm spot for 60-80 minutes.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide dough into quarters, then quarters again, yielding 16 small dough balls. To make breadsticks: Roll into a rope and flatten slightly and lay onto baking sheet. Brush remaining garlic/olive oil mixture onto dough. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise again for 45 minutes in a warm spot.
- Preheat oven to 425º. Bake for 10-15 minutes, rotating the pan halfway. Top should be firm and golden. These rolls are best on the first day. Enjoy!