Barley has the highest amount of fiber out of all the whole grains, lots of protein and (if you're watching them) low in carbs. Strive to incorporate this healthy grain in more than just your soup!
Updated: Mon, 05/13/2019 - 9:13pm
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint or basil
- 1 Tablespoon agave
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons water + more if needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 2 cups sliced kale
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- Fresh mint or basil leaves for garnish
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in barley and saute for 2 minutes. Add water and lemon zest. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and let simmer for about 40 minutes or until barley is tender. Drain excess water. Transfer cooked barley to a large bowl.
- While barley is cooking, prepare Dressing: In a mixing bowl, whisk together all Dressing ingredients until emulsified.
- Add Salad ingredients to cooked Barley. Pour Dressing over Salad and toss to coat well. Garnish with fresh mint or basil leaves. Enjoy!