Caramelized Onion Jam
You can use this caramelized onion jam on pasta, sandwiches, or in sauces for a sweet and savory kick.
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds onions, diced (about 3 onions)
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Salt, to taste
- In a large heavy saucepan or cast iron pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and stir to coat. Cover pan and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add broth, vinegar, sugar, and salt and cook uncovered, for 30 minutes. Stir often to keep from sticking. Season with more salt if needed.
- Let cool completely and store in a glass jar. Onion jam can be refrigerated for up to two weeks. Enjoy!