- 3 cups water + more for soaking
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon dried caraway
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ cup raisins
- Fill a large pot with filtered water. Add barley and let soak for a few hours, up to overnight.
- Drain and gently rinse the barley. Refill with 3 cups fresh water. Bring water to a boil. Add barley and salt and reduce to a simmer. Cook until all liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes. Add more water if grain seems too dry.
- Add herbs and raisins. Stir to fluff, and let stand 10 minutes. Serve alongside greens and tempeh for a hearty, earthy meal. Enjoy!