Homemade "Chicken" Nuggets
Enjoy these delicious nuggets with your fingers and your favorite dipping sauce!
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 7 ounces extra firm tofu (half a block), previously frozen and thawed
- ¼ cup almond flour (almond meal)
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
- ⅔ cup wheat gluten flour
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- ⅓ cup ground flaxseeds
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, celery salt and black pepper
- ½ cup water or vegetable broth
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350º and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pulse chickpeas in food processor until coarse. Add tofu and pulse again. Turn out into a large bowl and add almond flour, flaxseeds, nutritional yeast, and spices. Mix well, then sprinkle gluten flour into mixture, tossing to combine.
- Add water and soy sauce into chickpea mixture, and use your hands to mash together, ensuring that all flour is blended into mixture.
- Measure 1 tablespoon of nugget mixture and roll into a ball in your hands, flattening slightly to make a 1½-inch nugget. Lay onto prepared baking sheet. Continue with remaining mixture.
- To Prepare Flax Coating: In a medium sized bowl, whisk together ground flaxseeds, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, pepper, paprika, and water/broth. Whisk until smooth and thick.
- In another bowl, toss together Panko, wheat germ, almond flour, and celery salt. Toss together, and then drizzle oil, tossing quickly to coat crumbs with oil.
- Use one hand to dredge nugget into Flax Coating, then toss into crumb mixture until coated on both sides. Remove using opposite hand, and layer onto baking sheet.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for 20 minutes more, flipping halfway. Coating should be crispy and browned. Let cool slightly before dipping!